Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thoughts on Freedom Next Time

Freedom Next Time is an expository text written by John Pilger which examines crimes against humanity in countries such as Afghanistan and India. This expository text shocked me I’ve never acknowledged what people in these countries have gone through before I read Freedom Next Time. I cannot imagine what people in these countries are going through. Living in Australia, has allowed me to live a carefree life, without having to worry about war or death. The worse thing I’ve witnessed in society is a punch fight which left no one seriously hurt. This is extremely different from the ordeals experienced in Afghanistan and India. The attitudes of the American people in Freedom Next Time stunned me; they are portrayed as being heartless. For example in an interview with the Under-Secretary of State, for Arms Control and International Security, John Bolton, Pilger asks “Ten thousand deaths is low...?” and Bolton responds “Sure is” (Pg 403). This made me acknowledge that the American people care for nothing but themselves. The facts and statistics used in the text concerned me I wasn’t aware of how undernourished and deprived of everyday necessity’s which i take for granted are, for example “In India’s most modern city, 40 per cent of the population don’t have access to safe drinking water” (Pg 226). The anecdote about the principle, who watched his whole family burn, after an attack from the Americans, moved me. This man was a hardworking father and husband who didn’t deserve this horrible attack, he is no different from the principles here in Australia. He had a respectful job and was still targeted by the Americans. This manipulated me to side with the Afghanistan people once again. The way people are treated in Afghanistan and India is shocking. The images of people being dragged and set alight were emotionally disturbing. I can only imagine from the images presented in the text what it is like to live in these war stricken countries. The text made me appreciate the freedom I have living in Australia and how safe it is living here, compared to other teenagers my age in these countries that have uncertain futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment